My Money | Week 3
Where Do I Start?
Luke 16:10-11 (NIV)—“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?
· Handling our finances is a spiritual issue—it’s God’s assessment test of our heart.
Luke 16:10-11 (NIV)—Whoever can be trusted an apple can also be trusted with a tree, and whoever is dishonest with an apple will also be dishonest with a tree. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling individual apples, who will trust you with your own tree?
In every piece of fruit there is a small part not designed to eat—the seed!
Genesis 1:11-12 (NIV)Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, and God saw that it was good
We prayed for an orchard, and God sent a seed.
· If fruit were money, the seeds would be the tithe.
· Tithe simply means “tenth,” and the tenth is the starting point for giving in God’s economy.
Proverbs 3:9-10 (NLV)—Honor the Lord with your riches, and with the first of all you grow. 10 Then your store-houses will be filled with many good things and your barrels will flow over with new wine.
Seeds by their very nature, were created to go in the ground and grow another plant.
· The seed goes in the ground, and the fruit goes in the mouth.
A seed planted is infinitely more valuable than a seed eaten.
· Seeds aren’t designed to satisfy present needs; seeds are for the future.
· Every seed you eat is a future fruit producing tree that you’ve lost.
Malachi 3:10-12 (NIV)—Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the Lord Almighty.12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the Lord Almighty.
· The tithe is your first financial step of faith in God’s economy.
Where do I start?
We start with getting into the right relationship with fruit we have.
We start with common sense: eat the fruit, plant the seed.
We start with trusting God to do what He said He would do.